Saturday, January 24, 2009

Mini Chocolate Caramel Apples

I have been making chocolate caramel apples for probably 15 years.  My mom and I saw them at a craft show in Provo and bought one for $5.00, which seemed really expensive at the time.  ;-)  One taste and we were hooked, and have been making them ever since.  This is a mini version and really adorable with sucker sticks, you can use wooden skewers, but the sucker sticks are cuter.  Dipping apples in caramel first doesn't work, because the apple is not totally covered with skin.   Believe me, I tried with my sister in law Juliane, the caramel completely slides off.  Dip first in chocolate, then drizzle warm (not hot) caramel over the tops.  These are fun  for parties, it's a cute little bite.  I took them along with the cake balls to the church for a holiday RS enrichment and they went fast!

Fuji or Granny Smith Apples
Caramel
Milk Chocolate for dipping
Metal melon baller
assorted sprinkles, white chocolate etc.. for decorations

Wash and dry apples. Leaving the skin on, scoop out balls with melon baller.  You should be able to get around 10-12 balls per apple.  Pat dry, insert sticks so they sit level.  Dip in melted chocolate and set on waxed paper, which you have sprayed with Pam.  Add a dash of sprinkles (opt.)  Let dry.  Carefully drizzle melted caramel over the top.  (Caution:  make sure caramel is not too hot or it will melt chocolate.)  Let dry.  Carefully lift off waxed paper and place in candy cup holders.  These are really cute on a platter.  Eat mistakes....


2 comments:

  1. Those look awesome!! I've been thinking I wanted a melon baller....maybe this can be my excuse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are great hints, Debbie. We made some last fall and had the problem with the caramel not sticking due to the skin not being on it. Now I know a remedy. I am loving this blog! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete