Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Chili's SouthWestern EggRolls




These are some of my family's favorite things... They work really well for parties too.  I mean, anything deep fried is good, right?  I have been making these for as long as Chili's has had them on the menu.  The recipe I found is pretty much the same in taste, I can't tell the difference.  

This recipe easily doubles, triples, etc.... and you can make ahead and freeze.  You can also make several hrs before a party or dinner then keep warm uncovered in the oven.

EggRolls:
1 chicken breast
1 T. veg oil
2 T. minced red bell pepper
2 T. minced green onion
1/3 cup frozen corn
1/2 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
2 T. frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
2 T. diced, canned jalapenos
1/2 T. minced fresh parsley (or dry)
1/2 t. cumin
1/2 t. chili powder
1/4 t. salt
dash cayenne pepper
3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
5 seven inch (taco size) tortillas-- thin style

Avocado Ranch Dipping Sauce:
1/4 cup smashed fresh avocado (about 1/2 an avocado)
1/2 cup mayo
1 T. buttermilk
1 1/2 t. white vinegar
1/8 t. salt
1/8 t. dried parsley
1/8 t. onion powder
dash dill weed
dash garlic powder
dash pepper

Garnish:   2 T. chopped tomato, 1 T. chopped onion

Rub oil on chicken and season with s&p.  Grill chicken, cool and cube.   Preheat 1 T. of oil in pan over med high heat.  Add red pepper and onion, saute for a few min.  
Add diced chicken, corn, beans, spinach, jalapenos, parsley, cumin, chili powder, salt, cayenne.  Cook for 4 minutes;  stir well.  Remove from pan and add cheese; stir until melted.  Wrap tortillas in moist cloth and microwave for 1 min. or until hot.  
Spoon about 1/5 of mixture into center. Fold ends and then roll over mixture. Roll tight, then pierce with toothpicks to secure.  Repeat with rest of eggrolls.  Arrange on plate, cover with plastic and put in fridge to firm up a bit. You can freeze them, but it takes longer to fry. 
Prepare Sauce by combing all ingredients in small bowl, top with garnish.  Preheat 2-3 cups canola oil in pot to 375 degrees (you can just estimate if you don't have a thermometer)  Fry rolls 4-7 min. depending on how hot your oil is.  You don't want it too hot.  Flip eggrolls over to cook other side.   If rolls are frozen,  fry 12-15 min.  Drain on paper towels and slice each diagonally-remove toothpicks and arrange on plate around the dipping sauce.

Serves: 3-4  (You can increase this.. I've made around 100 before, you just them keep warm (200 degrees) in oven, uncovered until ready to serve)  They re-heat well too.

3 comments:

  1. I know what those are...Chilies Southwestern Eggrolls. They are my favorite. I usually get them everytime I go there. I may get those for lunch today. Now I am really hungry.

    I am very excited about this site. You are an amazing cook and I am excited to try some of your recipes with my family's parties. Now I just need Meghan V. to set up a site like this, and I will be so close to Heaven...you'll be able to smell it. Thanks Debbie. You are amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUMMY!!! I can't wait to try this recipe!! We LOVE Chilies Southwestern Eggrolls! Now..... can we please have your cinnamon roll recipe??? ;) Lori Willard

    ReplyDelete