Saturday, December 10, 2011

Mini Pies

Jacob really wanted to make these, so I thought we'd give them a try for Thanksgiving and I am in love with them! He lost interest after the first batch, but regained it when he smelled the finished product. I wish I had taken pics of the steps, but it's pretty quick and easy.

I cheated and used Pillsbury pie dough. Cut circles out using a glass large enough to fit into muffin tins (reg size) You could do mini size too.
Squish and pat dough up the sides to make sure it is all covered letting some dough come up about the top. Do NOT rim dough around way around the outside of the tin, or it will never come out. (learned that the hard way) I just fluted it and made sure it didn't come way out around the rim. I made the dough come up to the edges of the pan only.

Fill with any filling you like. I used lemon curd, apple filling and berry filling. Use your favorite fillings. I liked the look of the lattice a lot and the covered tops. I made lemon uncovered and with tops. I like the tops better, but you and put whipped cream on the uncovered tops too.

These pics below are from the site not martha where I got the idea. I forgot to take pics of mine in the pans so here is what they look like before they are baked.

When you are finished filling the pies put the tops on. To add a top, cut out the same size circle, wipe edges with egg wash to help adhere to the pie and cover pies. Pinch together and try to flute edges. It's no biggie if it doesn't look great, it will taste great!

*It's important to chill the the pies before baking. Cold dough plus hot oven equals flaky dough. That is one thing I did learn from Martha Stewart 20 years ago. ;)

Brush tops with egg wash. You can sprinkle with sugar too. Bake at 375 for 10 minutes and check them. If the tops are getting brown you can cover them with foil lightly and bake for a few more minutes until bubbly.

Let cool completely and gently run a sharp knife around outside to ensure it will come out. Gently lift out.

No comments:

Post a Comment