Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Cranberry Salsa


My new addiction.. thanks to Kristi Wiser who gave me her adapted recipe originally from Judy Hardy I believe.  Wow... I love this stuff.  I even put it on my scrambled eggs.  I don't feel guilty eating it because of all the great antioxidants in the cranberries, right?  I also make it sugar free.  It's a beautiful ruby red and pretty served in a bowl or packed into pint size jars and given away.  I tried it with and without the avocado, I think I  prefer it without, but it's up to your taste.  It's a fun different salsa and kind of addicting!  I've already given it away as gifts and take it to a party.  I keep thinking of excuses to make it!

Ingredients:
1 bag raw cranberries
1 bunch green onions- chopped
1 -2 jalapeno- seeded and diced
Juice of 1/2 - 1 fresh lime
1/3 cup sugar (I substitute Stevia or Splenda)
1/2 t. salt
1 bunch fresh cilantro-chopped
Opt. 1 diced avocado

Throw it all into a food processor or blender, except cilantro and avocado and process until cranberries are in tiny chunks.  Process until you like the consistency.   Add cilantro and mix well.  
Taste it.  Add more jalapeno if you wanted it spicier.   Add more sweetener and lime if needed- to taste.  Serve with tortilla chips or pour over cream cheese and serve with crackers.
Stores for several days in fridge.  

*Note
If using frozen raw cranberries, thaw completely before processing.  (Look for them on sale after  the holidays and stock your freezer!)

2 comments:

  1. I have a cranberry salsa too that I L-O-V-E. If interested let me know. It has some of the same ingred. but also has fresh ginger and cilantro. YUMMY! You pour it over a block of cream cheese and scoop it up with crackers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes yes yes.. send it to me, would love to try it!!

    ReplyDelete